Friday, July 01, 2005

The Liberty Train

With the 4th of July coming up I started thinking about past celebrations and specifically the Freedom Train back during the bicentennial celebration. I saw it when I was eight years old when it stopped in Birmingham on Memorial Day of 1976. My memory is a bit sketchy, but I clearly remember the moon rock, the conveyor belts, and the Liberty Bell replica.

I remember when the train started moving at some point we were standing right next to the engine. The horn was the loudest thing I had ever heard other than the KISS concert I went to twenty years later. The steam locomotive that pulled the train into Birmingham is still operational and makes excursions in the northwest.

For some reason I've always called this train the "Liberty Train." I guess it might be an alternate name that got stuck on it.

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July! We plan on going to a cookout with friends from church and watching fireworks in Hendersonville.

1 comment:

TheHeffer said...

Paul, bitchslap Hatch when you witness him intentionally over-eat in stunned amazement. Thank You.