Monday, March 06, 2006

Stones River Greenway Pictures

I've been walking on the greenway a good bit lately since the weather has been nice. I thought I'd share a few pictures I took back in January. The two pictures below show one of my favorite spots on the greenway, which is where an old railway trestle crossed the Stones River. The tracks are long gone, but the stonework is still very solid and will likely be there long after I'm gone.

The first picture shows the old bridge abutment on the west side of the Stones River. I believe the railroad was the Tennessee and Pacific Railroad, and the last train ran on it in 1935. It's easy to climb up to the top of the abutment on the right side and I like to sit on the top, which is about 20 to 25 feet high and take a rest and watch the other people on the path or listen to the silence since there's no roadway noise this far down the greenway.

The second picture was taken from the top of the abutment and you can see two of the bridge piers and the greenway itself. The second pier in the picture is sitting in the Stones River and has a small cedar tree growing out of it. I'm assuming the bridge was a truss bridge, but there's no trace of the superstructure left and no rails that I can see on top of the abutment. It was probably all removed for scrap, maybe even during World War II when metal was scarce, but I'm just guessing at this point.


1 comment:

Heff said...

...Looks like Childersburg to me.