Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Book Review - The Plot to Save Socrates

I recently finished reading The Plot to Save Socrates, which was a book I picked up at the library in the recently added section. I needed to find a book quick, and I saw Socrates and Time Travel in the blurb on the back cover, so I grabbed it and checked out.

I've been burned in the past by choosing books like this before, but I'm a sucker for Time Travel stories and this one didn't disappoint. It reads a little like The Davinci Code, being a page turner and keeping me up to 2am the first night I had it. However, it's not quite as skillfully written as the Davinci Code, and sometimes jumps the story along abruptly. In one section the characters set up a plan and said something to the effect that "they hoped it worked." Then the next sentence was "It did."

Still, examples like that are not common in the book, and it's a fun read. It introduced me to some historical figures like Alciabides that I knew little about, and prodded me to look up more about them, so any book of fiction that prompts further historical study can't be all bad. I'll give it a 7 out of 10.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Book Review - The Slut to Slave Heffrates

I recently finished reading The Slut to Slave Heffrates, which was a book I picked up at the library in the recently added section. I needed to find a dirty book quick, and I saw Heff on the cover and meaningless sex in the blurb on the back cover, so I grabbed it and checked out.

I've been burned in the past by choosing books like this before, but I'm a sucker for Heff stories and this one didn't disappoint. It reads a little like The Penthouse Forum, being a page turner and keeping me up to 2am the first night I had it. However, it's not quite as skillfully written as Penthouse, and sometimes jumps the story along abruptly. In one section the character Donna set up a plan and said something to the effect that "She hoped it came." Then the next sentence was "It did."

Still, examples like that are not common in the book, and it's a fun read. It introduced me to some sex terms that I knew little about, and prodded me to look up more about them, so any book of non-fiction that prompts further sexual study can't be all bad. I'll give it a 9 out of 10 on the Banana Scale.

Nome said...

Actually, I think I tried to read The Slut to Slave Heffrates. I found it to be completely unbelievable.......

Heff said...

...Believe it.

Anonymous said...

This blog has been like a benadryl milkshake all summer. Thank god for pervs like the heffster to keep things in perspective.

Paul Levinson said...

Hmm... that Heffrates novel sounds like it could have possibilities. I'm writing the sequel to Socrates now, but when I'm finished, you never know...

Anonymous said...

Mr. Levinson, if you need any disgusting details regarding "The Life And Times Of Heffrates", just give me the word. I'm available nights and weekends, lol.

- Heff