Sunday, October 01, 2006

Weekly Wrapup

I've settled into a workout rhythm for the last 3 weeks or so, and the results are starting to show. Due to work, kids, and other concerns, I can only really make it into the gym two days a week right now; on Sunday afternoon and Wednesday night. So what I've been doing is just trying to flat wear myself out those two days.

I start by warming up with a walk all the way across the YMCA parking lot. They have a large lot and I can walk almost 1/4 of a mile by parking at the far end of it. I'm constantly amazed to see people circling and circling around the front of the parking lot trying to find a spot close to the door. I think they're somehow missing the point, but hey people think I'm weird so who knows?

Next I spend 35 minutes on the treadmill. I've been doing intervals for the first mile for the last month or so. Today I went below 14 minutes on my first mile, completing it in 13:51. Not too shabby, at least for me. This time last year I could barely walk a mile. A few months ago I was happy to beat 18 minute miles.

Next I rest for about 10 minutes and rehydrate, then I hit the machines. Today I did 4 sets of everything, which is the biceps, triceps, quads, and hamstrings. I keep meaning to add some shoulder shrugs, but I didn't today. My chest still isn't feeling quite right, so I'm avoiding benchpresses or anything that puts stress on the sternum area for now.

For the seven days from last Sunday, I averaged 7,446 steps a day on the pedometer. I went over 10k on three days. Next weekend I'll be going to at least one cave, probably in Georgia since I'm going to TAG on the Mountain, the annual fall caving gathering. I'm not sure what cave I'm going to yet. I may try to go to multiple small caves this weekend since I'm in better shape than the last time I went caving.

No comments: