Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Hatch Football Post

I haven't really cared much about football recently. I'm admittedly a fair-weather Alabama football fan. If they're doing good like they did last year I'll start watching a few games and keeping up with them, but this year not so much.

Still, I've been reading with interest about the search for a new coach since Mike Shula was let go recently. It's been interesting watching friends and others come to the somewhat disturbing conclusion that the best person for the job is Steve Spurrier. Even I was taken aback when his name was one of the first mentioned.

It's appears that Alabama has finally decided to strike a deal and has Mal Moore standing in the middle of the crossroads at midnight. He's asked official permission to talk to Spurrier. Personally I've come to the decision that it's time to stop fooling around and get a real coach with real experience. Pay Spurrier the price he demands and let's get on with it.

My favorite quote about it is from this blog :

"College football is no place for honorable men. Any profession where Tommy Tubberville thrives is nothing you want your son involved with. So while Mike Shula deserves our respect for accepting a tough job at a tough time, there’s a reason nice guys finish 6-6.

The devil has a name, and he has a price. Someone in Tuscaloosa should visit him in Columbia and ask him what it is."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really, really don't like Steve Spurrier, and I agree with a radio guy who said just forget about hiring a coach, save that money and let John Parker call the plays.

Heff said...

Keep dreamin' Bama fans. Spurrier ain't comin'.