Thursday, January 17, 2008

Enoch McDonald Strother

I was trying to find something earlier tonight and I stumbled across a metal box I got out of my grandparents house about 10 years ago. I'd never really looked through it, since it was mostly full of paperwork, which my grandparents tended to hang onto like grim death.

Once I started looking through it though, I realized it belonged to my great-uncle George W. Strother, who died back in 1974. I spent an hour looking through all of the papers, most of which were really old life insurance policies from the 1950's, along with bills for what were apparently sawmill parts.

Down near the bottom I found this picture, which is my great-grandfather Enoch McDonald Strother, who was born in 1866 and died in 1919. There aren't a lot of pictures of him that I've seen before, and I'm not sure if I've seen this one. The picture was really small, measuring about 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches. I scanned it at really high resolution and I think it came out pretty well. You can click on the image to get a larger version than this.

This picture proves once again that I didn't inherit any of the Strother genes that I really would have wanted to. His mustache puts Tom Selleck's to shame, but when I tried to grow one years ago it just looked sad and pathetic.


3 comments:

Heff said...

What other Strother genes did you want to inherit, lol.

Anonymous said...

Tell heff that I said "careful there" with his Strother comments!

Anonymous said...

More proof that you were adopted