Friday, January 04, 2008

Our Little Book Worm

So almost every night, I give Jack his bath, get him dried off, and then into his pajamas. Then I read 2 or 3 books with him in my lap and tag up with Mommy who reads him another book or two and rocks him for a bit before she puts him in his crib with some soft music playing and his blanket, duck, and whatever else happens to be in there, usually including a book or two.

Last night we went through this whole process and then headed back downstairs as usual. I'm sitting on the couch with the laptop and Marissa is watching TV in the next room, with the baby monitor next to her. After about half an hour she says "Go upstairs and check on Jackson, I swear I can hear pages turning."

I'm dubious about this, but I go up the stairs, open the door, and duck inside. There's almost no light in the room, just a little from a small night light and maybe a little from outside through the blinds. I go up to the crib and there's Jack, leaning against the back of the crib with a book in his lap and his pacifier in his mouth, turning the pages. He gives me a look that basically said "What?"

His eyes are drooping and you can tell he's just about asleep, but he's still sitting there trying to read. Marissa came up to take a look as well, and read him one more book and rocked him again before he finally went to sleep for the night.

He's just been obsessed with them lately and he probably has about 200 books already in his collection. I'm so proud of him. He's a book nut just like his Daddy and Nana.

2 comments:

HatchWife said...

Sissy is a nut for books too. Not as much as she used to be but as long as it is the kind she likes she will read.

Now Jack even tries to read the books, 'brown bear, brown bear, what you see'. Hee Hee He is SO CUTE!

Anonymous said...

I will relay this story to Ms. Fannie Hinds. She is 92 years young and in an assisted living behind Joe's Crab Shack on 280. She asked about Alan and his family
and will love this reading story. Aunt Tricia