Friday, May 09, 2008

The Reading Hatch

Unofficially, I have a goal of trying to read 52 books this year, so I'll be averaging one per week. I've also turned into a total cheapskate, so I've only actually purchased one book so far this year, and that was this past week when I ordered a new pedometer from Amazon and needed to add a few dollars to my order to get free shipping. Every other book has either been the free PDFs that Tor books is sending out this year if you sign up for their newsletter, or from the library.

I've also been reading several books over a span of weeks and months any time I need to kill a few minutes in the bookstore or even at Kroger. Yes, I know this is horribly cheap, but I do actually purchase a cup of coffee almost every time I'm in there, so I'm not completely ripping them off. I don't actually mean to do this most of the time, but I read pretty quickly, so just starting a book to see if I like it can mean I read 20 or 30 pages of it.

So far I've finished 16 books, which puts me a little behind the pace I need to be since we're in the 19th week of the year so far. Since I'm usually reading several books at once, I'm not too far off though, and should be able to catch up fairly easily, especially since a week at the beach is coming up in June. Ah, thong season approaches, eh Bill?

2 comments:

Eve Proper said...

Those Tor books are pretty cool. Not to state the obvious, but if you're saving money, have you been using the public library?

Wayward Hatch said...

Yep. That's why I said "...from the library." :)