Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Book Review : Logan's Run

I bought this book last week and I read it during my lunch break yesterday and today, sitting in my car munching on a sandwich and carrots. A total of 187 pages in an hour and forty-five minutes, so it's a quick read.

As could be expected, there are a lot of major differences between the book and the movie. They share the same basic premise of people voluntarily submitting to euthanasia at a young age and the story of one enforcer of this tradition deciding to 'run' when his turn came up. I've been a fan of the movie since it first came out. My parents wouldn't take me to see it so I had to wait and see it on television a few years later. Like all boys growing up in the seventies, I was a huge fan of Farrah Fawcett, but was of course disappointed in the small role she had.

In the book, which is set in the 22nd century, modern society is what has resulted in the youth movement of the 1960's successfully taking over the world. On your 21st birthday, you are expected to show up at a local shop and be quietly put to sleep, which is opposed to the carousels and the age 30 limit depicted in the movie. Domed cities exist in the book, but the outside world is still accessible. When Logan and Jessica begin their run, they leave Los Angeles and visit a submerged city, the Arctic, South Dakota, Virginia, Washington DC, and finally Florida, seeking the "old man" and Sanctuary while being followed by the Sandman Francis.

The book has enough differences from the movie to make it an interesting read. If you're a fan of classic Sci-Fi books like I am you'll enjoy it. The scene of the runners making their way through a android recreation of an American Civil War battle is worth the price of the book alone.

Buy this book Now from Amazon!

No comments: